Thursday 15 October 2015

Product Review: Bioré UV AQUA Rich Watery Gel SPF50+ PA++++

Disclaimer: Product is kindly sent by samplestore.com, but reviews are based entirely on my own experience.

Wearing sunscreen is a really important step in maintaining good skin, especially in sunny (read: scorching) Singapore. But the reason why many of us do not wear sunscreen is because it is really hard to find cosmetically elegant sunscreens.

There is a myriad of reasons why many sunscreens suck: Too greasy (hence pore clogging, even though some say non-comedogenic), leaves a ghostly white cast (errr nope), does not adhere with moisturiser/makeup causing it to 'pill' or ball up (worse case ever).

If you use chemical exfoliants, retinoids or benzoyl peroxide like me, sunscreen is a must in your morning routine. Do not ever skip it! Of course I can start on a '101 reasons why you should wear sunscreen' sort of thing which will translate into a whole blog post on its own... so I shall leave it for another day! In case anyone of you are interested, /r/skincareaddiction on reddit offers very good information on sun care.

Sometime in July this year, I bought a particular sunscreen brand that was highly recommended by dermatologists but I hated that sticky feeling it left and I think the greasiness started to clog my pores. So I started my search for a HG sunscreen that I can rely on... Through some product trial-and-error, I've placed 2 in my arsenal and one of them is actually Bioré UV AQUA Rich Watery Essence! I came to know about the Watery Essence when people over reddit were raving on and on about it so I knew I had to try since I could get my hands on one so easily in SG as compared to people in US or UK.

So imagine my delight when samplestore sent me the Bioré UV AQUA Rich Watery Gel! I was actually deciding between both of them, but purchased the Watery Essence instead haha.


Do you know? A 2014 Benchmark Survey commissioned by Kao Singapore revealed a surprising find - that only 30% of women between the age of 12 and 49 years old use a sunscreen daily. (GASP!) What is even more startling is that this number has remained unchanged for the past five years, even with the introduction of more sun care products over the past few years. Based on this worrying trend, it is apparent that women in Singapore do not consider protection against UV damage a priority.

Prolonged exposure to the sun’s UV rays without proper protection can cause permanent effects such as premature skin ageing, wrinkles and freckles, as well as, various skin damages like discolouration, sallowness, dryness. In extreme cases, it can even lead to skin cancer.

Picture cr: http://www.skincancer.org/

There are two types of UV rays, UVA and UVB.
UVA rays:

  • Penetrate into the deeper layers of our skin as compared to UVB rays 
  • It is also the dominant tanning ray. 
  • The penetrative ability of UVA rays through glass means that even when you’re seeking shelter indoors, your skin continues to be exposed to its harmful effects which can cause cumulative damage such as wrinkling and skin ageing
UVB rays:
  • They cause the most damage to the outer layer of skin such as reddening of skin and sunburns.
  • Without proper protection, prolonged exposure to UVB rays can cause long-term damage to skin’s epidermal layers.

The Aqua Rich Watery Gel contains the breakthrough Aqua Micro Capsule, a water capsule which breaks upon application on skin to release the UV protection agent while giving skin a cool and refreshed feeling. It also has superior double UV block with enhanced SPF50+/PA++++ therefore providing maximum protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun. It is suitable for use on both the face and body. But here's the best part!! It is infused with hyaluronic acid & citrus extract to keep skin hydrated and fresh!


Here's a comparison of the Bioré UV AQUA Rich Watery Gel and Watery Essence. I didn't have a chance to swatch the texture before purchasing mine previously, so I assumed that the essence will be lighter than the gel because of the names what... But to my surprise, the Watery Gel was more 'watery' than the essence as you can see the Essence remains rather firm on my hand. The essence has a more creamy feel, albeit still watery. (If you guys get what I mean!) I do have to admit that I prefer the Watery Gel to the Essence in terms of their texture.


See the micro capsules?


All absorbed! Looks neither greasy nor shiny, and no white cast! It looks as though I haven't got any sunscreen on and you can see that my skin is visibly more hydrated as compared to the first photo. I'm sold on this one.


My verdict:
This is really hands down one of the best sunscreens I've used! I love it more than the essence because it absorbs much faster, and it feels as though I'm not wearing anything on. Both the essence and gel are excellent products from Bioré but I love the gel so much more and it does feel more hydrating as compared to the essence. Most importantly, it doesn't break me out or clog my pores. This is the #1 key factor for me when choosing products for my sensitive acne/clog-prone skin. This is definitely one that I will add to my daily AM routine and foresee myself repurchasing this instead of the essence.

However every skin is different so I must caution you guys to do a patch-test when trying out new products. Both the gel and essence do contain alcohol as the third ingredient on the list so just a heads up for people whose skin cannot tolerate products with high alcohol content.

If you are looking for a value for money sunscreen that isn't greasy for daily usage, or if you are tired of searching for sunscreens that do not leave a white cast, do give the Bioré UV AQUA Rich Watery Gel a shot!

Till next time,
A

The new Bioré UV AQUA Rich Watery Gel SPF50+ PA++++ (90ml) is retailing at S$18.90 at all leading supermarkets, personal care stores and western pharmacies and departmental stores.

No comments: