Thursday 3 December 2015

Of milk cleansers and cleansing creams (Sukin, Clarins, REN)

Since my updated skincare routine routine post (HERE) in September, I have made quite a few changes to my products over the past few months.

Some skin updates first! My skin has been doing well since the month of October. I've been fairly clear, only some small breakouts here and there especially during the time of the month but nothing too major. PIHs are fading well too so I'm really happy with the results I got from my laser sessions, coupled with my skincare routine. Mid November, my skin is still happy but my left cheek became irritated! I didn't add any new products either so I was quite puzzled as to why that would happen. Then it struck me - Over-exfoliation. I've been quite of an acid freak! Daily acid toning, both day and night, is a must for me. If I don't, I'd feel that something is missing. Unfortunately, I had to stop all acids for awhile and restore my moisture barrier. Two products that had been my saviours are the Hada Labo Gokujyun Lotion (Light) and La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume B5!

Oh look at me, I'm rambling off my main topic for today again. Let's get back on track! I've been looking for a gentle cleanser for the longest time ever. I must say my skin is pretty finicky and even the cleansers touted to be gentle can hurt my skin. Think Physiogel and Cetaphil. Both stung my skin quite badly and I have no idea why. I've used them before and that didn't happen... So I started on this quest to find the best cleanser for my skin.

Following the advice of skincare queen Caroline Hirons, I eliminated foam cleansers off my list. (Although there is one on my to-try list, the Hada Labo Foaming Cleanser in the pump bottle.)


These are 3 that I have tried thus far! I know that cream cleansers and cleansing milks are generally used for the first cleanse but I do use them as a second cleanser or a morning cleanser, and find that they work just as well in keeping my face clean. In case you wanted to know, my first cleanser is always micellar waters! (I was using the Garnier Micellar water which is cheap and good and I really liked it! But currently using the Bioderma because I couldn't get my hands on the Garnier one at the store I went to.)


Clarins Cleansing Milk With Genetian (SGD47/200ML)
This was the first I tried, even though I couldn't seem to find much positive reviews online. Albeit pricey, I took the plunge because I seem to have taken a liking to most Clarins products I've tried so I thought why not?

The first impression of this was reaaaaally bad.

It has a fairly thick consistency for something that is labelled a 'Cleansing Milk'. It's texture is creamy but not emollient. I used the product on dry skin but found that it disappears quite quickly and you'll be left tugging at your own skin. What I found to work is to first use it on dry skin all over your face, then wet your fingers to emulsify the product on your face so that it is easier to work it around before removing with a damp face towel.

My skin actually felt tight after cleansing and it took a few days for my skin to adjust to the cleanser. Thankfully it doesn't feel tight now but I keep this on rotation. I find that if I were to use this a few days in a row, my skin will feel slightly dehydrated.

Another point to note is that this product is fragranced, as with most Clarins products I've tried.It smells powdery. and smells like grannies hahaha wtf. It does actually stay on for a while so I'd sniff the granny smell for a few hours after using it.

Not something that I'd repurchase.


Sukin Cream Cleanser (SGD14.90/125ML)
Bought this on a whim because I saw that it was on offer at Watson's last month. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise. This was one that I used heavily when my skin was irritated from over-exfoliating.

Texture wise, it's quite thick and creamy. Feels very emollient probably due to the mixture of oils but melts easily into the skin. Although I was initially afraid that it would clog my pores, it surprisingly didn't! Did not cause any breakouts either. Best part, it doesn't leave a film/residue after cleansing. My face just felt clean and refreshed. There is a slight smell to it which I can't quite describe but nothing too overpowering.

I wouldn't recommend this to people with really oily skin though. It's too gentle to remove sebum.

This, I wouldn't mind repurchasing! I think I'm already halfway thorough my bottle and I just got it like what, on 14 November?


REN Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk (SGD50/150ML)
This is my most recent purchase from Luxola and it's been one that I've been eyeing for a long time! Got this at 40% during their recent Black Friday sale, so I haven't tested it long enough to give a full review. I must say that this stuff is pricey!! Hoping not to like it as much so that my wallet doesn't suffer...

Firstly I love the smell of this! It's not a strong scent but just a light herbal scent? Definitely not an artificial scent. Texture-wise, it's of a creamy consistency but not a thick whipped cream like the Clarins Cleansing Milk. There's this cooling feeling when applied on to the skin which I looove. Skin doesn't feel tight after cleansing and it just feels clean and refreshed.

The difference between the Sukin Cleansing Cream and this, is that the Sukin one is much heavier. I do like this as a morning cleanser more and on days when I feel that I don't need too much on my skin.

Still not sure if I'd repurchase because of the price... but if I do really like it, I'd still end up repurchasing it lol.

Till next time,
A

No comments: